Across the country, Indivisible groups are turning the pressure up on your members of Congress (MoCs) to do their jobs and work for the people. And at every turn, you’re reminding them you’re paying attention and doing what Indivisibles do best: holding them accountable.
Indivisibles are showing up all over the country to demand their MoCs put country over politics and (finalllllly) begin impeachment proceedings. They’re demanding that the House Appropriations Committee holds strong to #DefundHate. And they’re making sure their representatives can’t forget how important prescription drug pricing is to American families (and why one solution on the table is better than the other!).
And what are Indivisibles doing when they aren’t doing, well, all of those things? They’ll be hosting super exciting Presidential Debate watch parties with their friends, families, and group members to make this a contest of big ideas.
We know that there’s a lot happening. So, let’s get to it.
Your 5 weekly to-dos
- Sign up to attend a debate watch party for June 26-27. Indivisibles across the country will be gathering on June 26 and 27 in living rooms, restaurants, and bars to cheer on our candidates and push for a nominee who truly represents our values. Find an event with your local Indivisible chapter today or host your own an invite your friends!
- Keep up the heat and call on Congress to reject money for Trump’s deportation machine. The House Appropriations Committee will meet tomorrow, June 11, to mark up (meaning: debate and offer amendments to) the funding bill for the Department of Homeland Security, which houses the agencies that implement Trump’s mass deportation agenda. While there’s a lot of good news about the bill, the first draft of still gives Trump a $387 million slush fund that will be used to fuel his deportation machine. Call your Member of Congress (MoC) and urge them to reject this slush fund and #DefundHate.
- Show up for a Day of Action this Saturday, June 15, to demand an impeachment inquiry. Donald Trump must be held accountable for his abuses of power, and Congress is the only one with the power to act—starting by launching an impeachment inquiry in the House Judiciary Committee. Join us and our partners in this nationwide day of action demanding Congress to fulfill its Constitutional obligation to conduct oversight by opening an impeachment inquiry. And don’t forget, everything you need to take action and demand Congress do the right thing (Call scripts! Videos! Letters to the Editor!) can be found at impeach.indivisible.org.
- Tell your MoC to support H.R. 1046 to bring down prescription drug prices. House Democrats are very likely to act on legislation to lower prescription drug costs this summer, and they are currently considering two competing proposals for doing so. Rep. Lloyd Doggett’s H.R. 1046 is a much stronger approach than the alternative; click here to learn more about why it’s the right policy to solve this problem, then make a call to tell your MoC to co-sponsor this critical legislation.
- Take the We are Indivisible 2020 pledge. We’ve got 17 candidates and almost 30,000 grassroots activists signed up. But this simple ask will take all of us to uphold. So, if you haven’t already, take the pledge and add your name. And if your local group is ready to commit to our weekend of action in July 2020, register your event on the map here.