In the past week, we’ve seen more of Trump’s cruelty in action and it continues to put families across the country in danger.
Last week, Trump announced on Twitter that Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) would be conducting raids to deport “millions” of undocumented people. A transparent attempt to try to vilify immigrants in the run-up to the 2020 election, it’s clear that Trump’s 2020 playbook for the next year and a half will be to use all the resources at his disposal to go after the same communities that he’s been attacking since day one of his campaign.
But we are not powerless to fight back. Trump is asking Congress for billions of additional dollars in a “supplemental” funding bill for the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), which includes money for ICE and Customs and Border Protection, which carry out his detention and deportation activities. To their credit, Democrats are trying to respond as responsibly as they can, offering to give DHS additional money to deal with the border crisis. The fundamental problem, however, is that DHS does not need more money (read that again)! It has enough resources to continue to caging families and individuals in record numbers and conduct nationwide raids.
Despite any earmarking attempts by well-intended Democrats, Trump will use any extra money Congress gives him to round up families and terrorize communities. We need Congress to say no to any additional money to carry out Trump’s hateful immigration agenda; you can read our updated resource here for the latest (and check out the to-dos below for a call script).
And Trump was not done there. In addition to ramping up his politically motivated attacks on immigrants, reports suggest that Trump brought us to the brink of war with Iran before pulling back at the last moment. Make no mistake: a new war with Iran would be an illegal disaster.
But we haven’t reached this point by accident; we’re here because Trump, aided by the war cabinet that he and Senate Republicans put together, has been escalating tensions with Iran for months in an almost Iraq War 2.0 fashion. Congress needs to do everything they can to stop a new war with Iran. Check out our resource to see exactly how you can make them do just that. You can learn more in our resource here.
As always there’s a lot going on, so here are the most effective ways for you to exercise your power this week:
Your 5 weekly to-dos
- Keep the pressure up on your MoC while they’re home to open an impeachment inquiry. We’ve got all the tools you’ll need to make it clear to your member of Congress (MoC) that they need to use all the power available to them to hold Trump accountable and get to the truth of his administration’s abuses. July 4 recess is your time to shine — make a call (and write a letter to the editor, and record a video, and more) using the resources in the link above, and keep your eyes peeled for more in the days to come.
- Tell your MoC not to give Trump another dime for his deportation machine. Money for Trump’s DHS is money for increased levels of detention, deportation, and abuse of human rights — period. Tell your MoC that if they oppose Trump’s attacks on immigrant communities, they also need to oppose his supplemental funding request for DHS.
- Demand that your MoC act to stop a war with Iran. Trump is ratcheting up tensions with Iran, with the members of his war cabinet urging him forward at every opportunity. MoCs are not powerless to stop this, though; call your Representative and Senators and tell them to co-sponsor H.R. 2354 / S. 1039 to explicitly deny him this authority, and make a public statement making clear that Congress has not authorized the use of any military force against Iran.
- Check out our Debate Watch Guide to outline many of the topics you care about. In our guide, you’ll have worksheets to rate and grade candidates on, and a bit of analysis and insider baseball on each candidate/issue from our Political Team. So whether you want to plan your own party, attend one of the many events already on our map, or just follow along at home, you’ll be totally prepared.
- Opt-in to our exclusive Indivisible Focus Group by texting DEBATES to 977-79. We want to capture the Indivisible movement’s take on the debates as soon as they’re over — which means we’ll need an exclusive focus group that we’ll text right after each debate ends (11pm ET) and ask you how you feel.
RSVP for a Local Presidential Debate Watch Party!
The debates are right around the corner! This is our opportunity to put our IndiviStamp on the national conversation, and local groups are planning more than 140 watch parties across the country this Wednesday and Thursday. Here’s how you can take part:
✓ First, click here to find your nearest debate watch party and RSVP 🥳Get excited for an evening in great company with fellow activists in your community.
✓ Second, read up on the issues in our 2020 Grassroots Playbook 🤓 We’ve compiled everything you need to know about critical policies, and how you can keep track of where the candidates stand during the debates.
✓ Last but not least, make your voice heard 📣 Let us know your thoughts during the debates by posting on social media with #IndivisibleDebates, and opt-in to our exclusive Indivisible Focus Group by texting DEBATES to 977-79.
Presidential Launch! Need you.
Real quick, we just want to update you on our presidential program launch. Nearly 3,600 Indivisibles have already chipped in. That’s amazing!! And we’re hoping (and on track) to raise another $18,000 this month!
Every time we launch a new, exciting plan, we are blown away by how this movement rises to the challenge — and this time is no different. It’s grassroots donations that allow us to plot game-changing tools and tactics and then execute them like nobody’s business. No corporate money. No money from politicians. It’s because of this movement — pure and simple.
Our new presidential program could *really* use your support. Chip in $10, or whatever you can afford, to support Indivisible Action and help our most consequential plan yet (!!!) start as strong as possible.