We’re keeping it short and sweet this week: Congress is still out on August recess, which means now is a great time for you to hold events at home to demand action on your priorities.
That means telling your members of Congress that you expect them to Defund Hate by cutting funding to ICE and CBP, open an impeachment inquiry, and pass legislation to reduce gun violence. But don’t worry, we’ve got resources to help you with each of those priorities:
- Tips and tactics for planning a Defund Hate action
- A really useful one-stop-shop for Impeachment August
- A call script to demand that Mitch McConnell and the Senate vote on legislation to make it harder for people to exploit loopholes that make it too easy to get a hold of deadly guns
And don’t forget: when Congress gets back to DC (on September 9!), they’re sure to have a packed agenda. That means that right now is your best chance to make it clear what you expect of them this fall, before they get overtaken by another Trump-driven news cycle.
Here’s what we’re focused on:
Your 6 weekly to-dos
- Get ready for the September funding fight by texting Defund Hate to 977-79. We’ll send you the latest updates on our plan for the Week of Action, and we’ll let you know when events are registered near you.
- Call your member of Congress right now to tell them you demand that they cut funding for ICE and CBP in this September’s funding bill. We’ll give you a script and connect you directly with your representative’s office.
- Get up-to-speed using our Defund Hate toolkit with guidance on planning an August recess event (great practice for the September Week of Action!) or laying the groundwork for your local September day of action. We’ve even got a leave-behind you can print and use to guide your conversations with your Members of Congress and their staff.
- This August, demand your representative publicly support a formal impeachment inquiry in the House. Impeachment August is well underway! The ask is simple: find a town hall or register your own district office visit and demand that your representative in the House support a formal impeachment inquiry. A majority of House Democrats support an inquiry, but we need as many on board as possible to ensure that we learn the truth about Trump’s abuses of power and corruption.
- Use this script to call your senators now to say their thoughts and prayers are not enough. In the weeks since the mass shootings in El Paso and Dayton, three more plots to commit acts of mass murder have been foiled. This is a crisis: every senator should publicly demand Mitch McConnell call an emergency session to debate and vote on gun violence prevention legislation AND cosponsor S. 42, which would close loopholes and implement universal background checks for gun purchases. Read more in our updated resource here.
- Register for the September monthly activist call. Join us for our next activist call on Thursday, September 5 at 8pm Eastern Time / 5pm Pacific Time, to get the latest updates on Defund Hate, the 2020 race and more!